Every day, ISKCON members throughout the world actively respond to people’s needs with the timeless spiritual science of Krishna consciousness, making it possible for thousands of people to find sustained happiness. Working through ISKCON’s network of temples, centers, and home-based efforts, devotees strive to fulfill the mission given to them by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada in the founding document of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness:
To systematically propagate spiritual knowledge to society at large and to educate all peoples in the techniques of spiritual life, in order to check the imbalance of values in life and to achieve real unity and peace in the world.
Srila Prabhupada established the Governing Body Commission (GBC) to serve ISKCON in achieving these ends by providing leadership and governance, establishing global policies, and developing strategies for the sustained growth of the Krishna consciousness movement. And, as Srila Prabhupada requested, the GBC serves as ISKCON’s ultimate managerial authority.
The GBC, of course, cannot work in isolation; rather, it needs extensive collaboration with ISKCON members and projects throughout the world. Aside from the obvious need for this collaboration, the GBC is driven by one of Srila Prabhupada’s last requests: that we show our love for him by cooperating to serve him.
A Growing Need
The challenges and opportunities of our times call for both dynamic visionary planning and the effective execution of those plans. ISKCON is growing, and with it, the need for better social support, leadership and global coordination.
The GBC, aided by a dedicated Strategic Planning Team (SPT), has increased its attempts to address these needs – first by identifying some of the ways ISKCON needs support in its growth, and then by developing practical strategies to offer that support. Carrying out these strategies will allow the members of the GBC to underscore Srila Prabhupada’s vision for ISKCON as a cooperative society that recognizes unity in diversity, maintains Vaisnava behavior and high spiritual standards, works on both love and trust and sound organizational principles, and encourages a broad and active participation among its members.
As ISKCON embraces Srila Prabhupada’s vision and learns how to better implement it worldwide, we will find ourselves able to reach people from any background and nurture their spiritual advancement and happiness as well as the advancement and happiness of our own members.
The Purpose of the ISKCON Strategic Planning website
- To serve as an interface to educate, inspire, grow the leaders’ appreciation, understanding and utilization of strategic planning in their projects.
- To assist the leaders to put together a personal strategic planning.
- Focal point for ongoing resource for strategic planning in ISKCON. The best go to place to get resources on Strategic Planning including best practices.
- Encourage much more enthusiasm for Strategic Planning – devotees will study, learn and experiment creating their own plans.
- To keep leaders connected to the disciplines of strategic planning.
- Create more rational processes and systems for manifesting our spiritual future while at the same time encourage creativity and innovation.
The desired outcomes of the website
- Leaders are encouraged, inspired, and supported along the strategic planning journey for their project, temple, region or zone.
- Our projects, temples, regions, zones, and own plans will be organized and strategically focused around the primary purpose of realizing Srila Prabhupada’s Mission and Vision of ISKCON.
- A meaningful contribution to realization of more devotees and happier devotees.
- Strategic planning is a process that encourages team building. Giving us the benefit of the greater intelligence of a coordinated group of people.
- Working together to build a better ISKCON for the pleasure of Srila Prabhupada.
- Strategic planning gives us something to measure. Enabling us to measure our progress.
- We develop deeper faith and appreciation for Srila Prabhupada’s role as ISKCON’s first and pre-eminent Strategic Thinker.
- Strategic planning an integral part of a leader’s daily routine which supports the manifestation of the realization of Srila Prabhupada’s Vision and Mission for ISKCON.
- ISKCON moving forward as a “world-class” organization.
Who are the target audiences?
The ISKCON Strategic Planning website is dedicated primarily to all leaders however beneficial to any devotee in ISKCON committed to pushing Srila Prabhupada’s ISKCON forward and ensuring it continues.
- Global level
- GBC Body
- GBC members
- Ministers and Strategic Planning efforts
- SPN members
- Global Duty Officers
- Zonal/ National/ Regional Structures
- Zonal Supervisors
- RGBs and other Regional & National Bodies
- Other National or Regional Leaders
- Where relevant, Regional or National Council Members
- Temple/ Local
- Temple Presidents
- Temple Managers
- Department Heads
- Bhakti Vrksa, Nama Hatta Leaders and other Congregation leaders
- Project Leaders